Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Coloring Soap Naturally Using Common Ingredients



I am a purist at heart.  I make soap because I do not like all the chemicals, dyes, and preservatives that are in store bought soap.  So, why I ask myself would I consider using chemicals to dye my soap? Well, the easy answer is its pretty. I do not usually use any colors at all, but I do get tired of the tans, creams, and browns that occur naturally. They are beautiful but sometimes the girl in me would like a bit more color in my life.  So I set out to find natural colors.  I found that many of the natural colorants were hard to find and expensive.  So I did a lot of research and experimentation and found that the stuff I had in my kitchen would work just fine.  Some things you might not have around, but it is easy to find and cheap.  Here is the list I put together.

Greens

Alfalfa Powder

Cucumber (Blend it including peel)

Parsley

Peppermint

Sage

Spinach

Stevia Powder

Yellows

Annatto Seed

Calendula Petals

Carrot  Juice

Curry Powder

Gound Mustard

Tumeric

Oranges

Cayenne

Orange Peel

Paprika

Tomato Puree

Browns

Cinnamon

Coffee

Cocoa

Chocolate

Purple/Blue

Alkanet

Blackberries

Red/Pink

Rose Hip Powder



1 comment:

  1. Hi! Great post! I'm a purist too when it comes to soap, so I find this very interesting. I've dyed a lot of soap with these and other natural ingredients, so I would like to share what happened to me when I used rose hip powder (so that others don't have to make the same discover I did). In fact, the lye turns rose hip powder green then a tan color. It may be a slightly rosy tan, but it's tan nonetheless, and pretty pale at that. It also fades with time. I haven't tried it with melt and pour so maybe that's a way to use it to get red and pink :D

    ReplyDelete